Japan came to Truro this week, in a production of The Mikado.
One of Gilbert and Sullivan's best known works, it was performed by the National Gilbert and Sullivan Company.
The costumes and settings were very attractive, and there were some lovely voices in the company.
The well known 'Three Little Maids from school' song.
As my husband says, one is either a Gilbert and Sullivan person, or not. He is. I'm not terribly!
We always have good seats in the Truro theatre, as a front row on the entry level is kept for disabled people. It does mean that all the other theatre goers are at risk of tripping over walking sticks, wheelchairs, electric chairs and crutches.
And a Guide Dog.
But it's all taken in good spirits.!


I think the Mikado is one of my favourite G&S works. The character names are such fun - I am surprised that CBBC haven't introduced YumYum, Nanki Poo, and Pitti Sing to Iggle Piggle in the Night Garden!!
ReplyDeletePut like that it makes me think of the Teletubbies!
DeleteIts my favourite too but afraid I share it with many more of G & S's operettas, may be it has something to do with the fact that I sang in several of them as a teenager?
ReplyDeleteSounds great.
ReplyDeleteI remember that little maids song from Chariots of Fire.
ReplyDeleteYou guys are good at having fun!
I love G&S... especially Mikado and Pirates of Penzance. We named our cats once long ago Gilbert and Sullivan. I remember Three Little Maids from Chariots of Fire, yes, me too.
ReplyDeleteWhat fun....
I bet the costumes were fantastic with lots of silk. You are having some good days out lately.
ReplyDeleteSo enjoy the Mikado. What a great outing
ReplyDeleteElizabeth, I think I am sort of with you on G & S. I did love that Mike Leigh film Topsy Turvy that came out a while back. Also remembering a Pirates of Penzance production in Central Park, a very long time ago, starring Kevin Klein and Linda Ronstadt...the tickets were free!
ReplyDeletexo
I have to confess that I have never seen any Gilbert & Sullivan. Glad that your husband enjoyed it! xx
ReplyDeleteI've never seen the Mikado, but it sounds delightful.
ReplyDeleteMy daughter performed in Mikado when she was in high school. i so enjoyed it!
ReplyDelete