Closed now.

Friday, September 11, 2015

Crab apple time.



Guess what I'm doing this weekend.


Once again Crab apples have fallen off their branches, rosy red and gleaming. These came from a friend, and sadly many of them were windfalls and not too good.
However, I have two large pans boiling and tonight they will be strained ready for the juice to be turned into jelly.
Jelly here, for US readers, is a lovely clear jelly, not a jam.
We eat this with chicken or pork.
As a child it was always a treat when my Grandma made Apple jelly and we had a slice of bread with the shivery ruby jelly. So tasty!

14 comments:

  1. Oh my, you got my mouth watering with this post, crab apple jelly is so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad always made crab apple jelly. He loved to make all types of jelly. Not being a fan of jelly myself he could never understand why I wouldn't eat it on American biscuits. If i'd given in to eat jelly, it would have been peach. I love the scent of peach jelly or peach preserves.
    Happy Crab Apple Jelly making weekend! The scents of fall are in the air and the kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love jelly too i add a cinnamon stick and a star anise to the apples to make a spiced jelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! Now I would like a piece of toast after reading about jelly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marleen, I did a sort of 'tutorial' on Sept 16th 2008, if you would lik to check that. I dont know how to make a link to it, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are nice looking crab apples. Sounds good to me! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only ever made Guava jelly, but it's the same principal.
    Your jelly looks crystal clear - wonderful!
    It gives one such a feeling of achievement!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crabapple jelly sounds lovely with meats. Sort of like our cranberry jelly, perhaps? A bit tart and a bit sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, those look yummy! We just brought home some crabapples from our son's tree, and pickled them (more than enough grape jelly from our vine).

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds really good B - I'd could have it with my grilled veggie burger perhaps! They are so pretty in the basket.

    I'm all 'figged out' now, the harvest completed - plenty of preserves put up for the winter months, even after gifting a lot of jars to neighbors and friends I have enough for us too.

    Happy weekend - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our crabapples are yellow and blushed pink like these. They make such wonderful jelly. We took a jar with some Brie to a party and people were scraping the jar clean, they loved it that much.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Thank you for visiting me.