Following slightly in the footsteps of Magali, whose blog tells us all about the renovation of her Breton cottage, I thought I would go back in time and show you our first cottage in France.
We bought this in Brittany in 1995 as a holiday cottage...somewhere to run during the school terms and holidays.
It did not look at all like the photo.
Poor cottage had been lived in for years by an elderly bachelor and was decidedly scruffy.
But...the most amazing thing was that it had a modern bathroom, put in, I think, by the council. That made it all possible, as we knew there would be much renovation to do.
In those days there were no programmes on 'the French Dream', no magazines full of advice, there were few solicitors who knew how to deal with a property buy in France, and we had to struggle through all sorts of hoops concerning inheritance laws, tax payments in another country, et al.
However, we bought it and in May 1995 rushed over at half term,buying two white plastic chairs from the nearest supermarket, and took possession.
The cottage was at the end of a lane in a small hamlet known as 'Le Vieux Bourg' (The old village), slightly separated from the newer village which was within 3 minutes walk. There was one tiny shop in a front room, a post office, a Dr's surgery, and naturally, five bars.
In a village of 1200 people.
When I can find some more photos I'll tell you how the 'dream' progressed.

Fascinating ~ can't wait to read more.
ReplyDeleteL.x
Looking forward to seeing the progression...
ReplyDeleteThis was a great opening post to what I hope is a continuing story. Your French cottage looks charming in this photo.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea to share it with us. Looking forward to all of it :-)
ReplyDeleteI will enjoy reading about this, what a lovely idea.
ReplyDeleteThe house looks lovely!
ReplyDeleteHave a nice day & love, Carolien
This has long been a dream of mine - but quite impractical when we live 12,000 miles away!
ReplyDeleteThe cottage looks lovely - on the outside,
I'm looking forward to part two!
It has a lovely blue door I see. Looking forward to your future posts!
ReplyDeleteHow lovely that you will share your French cottage with us - I look forward to more photos.
ReplyDeleteIt's a dream come true; am eagerly looking forward to more posts.
ReplyDeleteIt looks lovely. I look forward to hearing more!
ReplyDeleteIt will be lovely to hear more about the story of your home in France! xx
ReplyDeleteI have always wanted to have a mountain cabin; instead, we purchased a little run down cottage for my mother in law to live in. Today it is a rental with a nice couple making it their home. I can imagine that when we decide to give up the Garden Spot, we could move in to. I love to read about peoples' vacation cottages. I will enjoy reading about yours.
ReplyDeleteI cannot wait to read more. It looks absolutely dreamy.
ReplyDeleteI cannot wait to read more. It looks absolutely dreamy.
ReplyDeleteIt's so pretty with its blue door and fence. I would love to hear more.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much for mentionning my name! Your cottage was absolutely lovely, at least from the outside... The inside is so often disappointing around here! But fortunately, there are nice people like you willing to give those old cottages a new life!
ReplyDelete