These Hydrangeas are all from the same bush. I am always amazed by the changes in colour as Autumn arrives.
Back in the Summer the bush produced beautiful blue flowers.
Just two or three are left, mingling with the amazing ruby red of the others.
This is how it looks today.
You can just see one or two of the light coloured flowers hiding.
Soon the flowers will be completely over.
Maybe I'll dry a few.
Hydrangeas are very much a flower of Cornwall, and most gardens have at least one bush. The colours range from pure white through to the darkest blues and pinks.
Lovely plants.
Good Morning Elizabethd, Hydrangeas are such a gorgeous bush and I love their big blousey flower heads. My mother, Phyllis used to have a Hydrangea bush which was six feet tall and the same wide, so I always had a few flowers to pop into a vase. The first time I snipped a few, I was amazed how long they lasted in a vase.
ReplyDeleteI love the range of colours you have shared.... amazing from just one plant.
We are enjoying some Autumnal sunshine today, here in the North of England, I hope the sun is shining for you also.
Best Wishes
Daphne
I am so looking forward to seeing your lovely county next month and you are certainly whetting my appetite!
ReplyDeleteWOW! I have never seen them turn so red! I love them. Thank you for sharing. I am hydrangea deprived because our climate is so dry in Colorado. I am definitely coming to Cornwall during hydrangea season.
ReplyDeleteI wish some of mine would turn that beautiful shade of ruby red - never seen that before. Enjoy them through the winter months by drying - imagine how lovely they will blend with Christmas decor later!
ReplyDeleteHugs - Mary
Oh, how beautiful! I always thought the color depended on the acidity of the soil, didn't know they changed in the fall.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful!
ReplyDeletehow beautiful, you must have fabulous soil, I love the deep red and have never seen these blooms such a deep colour before.
ReplyDeleteThat's amazing ~ I didn't know you could get different colors from the same bush. I've not had very good luck growing them here, but you've just inspired me with this post. Think I'll give it another try.:-)
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful bush! I love the dark red, but I have yet to find a hydrangea color I don't like :)
ReplyDeleteIt's also a typical flower in Brittany, but I don't think I can dry any this year, August was really rainy and it ruined the bloom... I keep trying but they won't dry properly!
ReplyDeleteThey are beautiful!
ReplyDeleteHave a nice week & love,
Carolien
How lovely to see the variety of color. That looks like a beautiful shade of red or dark pink.
ReplyDeleteNature really does give us some beautiful things!!! xx
ReplyDeleteHydrangeas take me back to my childhood. My mother used to grow them and they always flourished. Such showy blooms!
ReplyDeleteIt's always surprising to me how hydrangea flowers change color so dramatically in the autumn. Blooms from the same plant color very differently. I've never seen such rich colors as yours. They are gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteHydrangeas are always beautiful any time of year...but the best time is certainly autumn :0) they are just lovely.... let them dry and they keep most of their color throughout the winter. mari
ReplyDeleteMy hydrangeas were beautiful this year. I love the ruby red!!
ReplyDeleteHydrangeas are so interesting that way ... they have such vibrant colours and I love to watch the way they turn different hues as they mature.
ReplyDeleteLovely post!
Brenda
I love hydrangeas, but I have a hard time growing them. Mostly here you see the huge white ones. I should try again. I always seem to kill them.
ReplyDeleteHi Elizabeth! Thanks for visiting me via Mari (such a sweet lady, she is!). Love your hydrangeas and wish mine looked so lovely. Planted two new plants this year and hope they survive the winter... Yes, Mitford is a favorite fiction town I enjoy visiting, and I can't wait until the release of the newest volume is released this fall (next month?)!
ReplyDeletexo Lisa :)
Hi sweet friend! My, what beautiful colors! I am not able to grow hydrangeas here where I live, but I always love seeing them.
ReplyDeleteAlso, your roses from the previous post are truly stunning. Hugs to you!