Closed now.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Seed selection








This is the time of year when the seed catalogues arrive in our post box. The one we use mainly is a French one called 'Graines Baumaux'. There are various other smaller ones, but this is the best we have found, and their delivery and quality are exceptionally good..




My husband spends hours flicking through the very colourful pages, making decisions, making lists of the vegetables he wants to grow. Should it be this variety of carrot or another? Do we need extra herbs this year?




When I can get hold of the book I choose my few seeds, Cosmos, Sweet peas, Nicotiana and , yes, my herbs. Basil is a must and this year there is an interesting purple variety.....oh it's so hard not to order everything!
Have you ever seen such a selection of tomatoes? And that's only one of the three pages, showing ancient and modern varieties. some of them are not the most attractive to look at, but the taste is good.
We find every year, in our order, several free packets of flower or vegetable seeds....Baumaux know how to keep their customers!

17 comments:

  1. Looking at seed catalogues is a wonderful way to pass these still somewhat dark and cold days. I always think I can use far more seeds than I really need, but those pictures are so enticing, aren't they?

    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! I am looking forward to starting our garden this year, but I know with all of this snow, the ground won't even begin to thaw until late March so looking now would just give me a really bad case of spring fever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun, Elizabeth! It is getting to be that time of year again ~ yay!

    Blessings,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thank you so much for that post. Next year, when hopefully we will be in France most of the time, I really want to get started on the garden, and that seed catalogue will be so helpful in planning the vegetable garden. Must make a note of that right away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am starting to get a lot of seed catalogs now and I too, love all of the bright colors. And yes, I want everything!! It is so much fun to fantasize about my garden beds while it is so cold and dreary out! What great fun!

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I rather fancy trying to grow CLOUS PLEUROTE en HUÎTRE but am not sure I can wait 8 to 10 months for the fungi to grow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And you can order in french! I'm impressed, sugar! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elizabeth, having seen your photos of the splendid garden that you and your husband have, I know that you all make great choices again this year.

    I have purchased that purple basil at our farmers' greenmarkets, and would recommend that you do give it a try.

    All the choices you mention just make me yearn to have a garden myself. Some day .... xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Elizabeth,

    Oh I know this, looking and choosing, it's lovely to do! Such a nice hobby ;)

    Have a nice day & hugs, Carolien

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to start planting but unfortunately, we can't start planting most things until the end of May here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have about six catalogues lined up, and that doesn't include what comes in my email box! The choices!! We finally had warm weather today, first time in over a month. I am so ready for spring and planting.
    Ulrike
    Oh, I always buy more flowers than veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those tomatoes look so delicious. My husband spends a long time sorting his selection each year as well. I can't wait for the ground to thaw out so we can begin to use our garden again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like a 'kid in a candy store' - that's any one of us with a seed catalogue!
    I'd like to try to follow your example and grow a loofah this year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Elizabeth,
    I have been looking at my catalogues that have been coming in the mail. It amazes me how many different varieties of plants the Lord has created.
    Enjoy looking,
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stokes...is the seed catalog that I used to get. Hmm...I wonder where it is this year?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello,
    thank you for leaving a comment on my blog ! I dropped by and started browsing, I will definitely have to come back to read more.
    Patchwork, cross stitch, gardening ? Well, I want to read it all from the beginning. But due to the late hour, I shall do so another day...
    And seed catalogues / gardening magazines... I can't wait to work in the garden again. The snow has completely melted - it has been raining for 2 / 3 days now. I can see my hellebores again, I think I have the same as you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Only herb seeds for me this year - my garden is a disaster since taking down those trees last month! We have a lot of big cleanup/landscape jobs ahead if it ever warms up again, plus a new concrete drive/path etc. must be done come Spring!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Thank you for visiting me.