Closed now.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Daffodils

The daffodils in my header come from a farm on the Roseland Peninsula in Cornwall. Every year I used to go there to buy bulbs, and when we bought our French cottage I took a bag of 450 daffodil bulbs over to spread around the garden and the lane. They still bloom every year, even after 15 years.





The family at`Fentongollan farm have been there since 1883, and have been growing daffodils on 160 acres for at least the last fifty years. They sell cut flowers and bulbs, though many of their bulbs are exported to Holland. They also send flowers by post, and I imagine that to open a box of ready to bloom daffodils would make anyone's day brighter! When interviewed on the Westcountry news yesterday, one of the family said that they were at least a month behind with the picking due to the bad weather. I notice that mine in the garden are very slow to come up....but can't blame them. I'd rather stay in a comfortable bed!

15 comments:

  1. Daffodils seem to cheer everyone up. Ours are only just poking through - I wonder if they'll be up for St David's day? (Also our wedding anniversary - the men wore buttonholes of daffs).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the daffodils and it will soon be time. I can see little springs sticking up when I occasionally get to see the ground. I guess the snow will give us a good water table this year. Blessing E.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't think of a single person who doesn't love daffodils with their bright cheery colour. None have come up in our garden yet, but I did spot a couple of primroses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The daffodils in your header are beautiful. We won't see any bloom here in the Midwest until April!

    xoxo
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daffodils already? We're hoping they wait here until April, so we can have them for our DD's wedding reception. Beautiful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth, it's wonderfully cheering to see those brilliant daffs today. (We are in the early hours of a a predicted blizzard!)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Elizabeth, I love that area of cCornwall too I think we went to a place called St Just in Roseland it was very pretty. Is there a very old church there right next to the water? such a beautiful place. I love my daffodils but they are late this year.
    Love Jillxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love the first daffodils when they come through!The are the first real sign of springtime after the crocus of course! Love your cheery header too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ours are nowhere to be seen but then again we have snow again so ho hum!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah yes, the daffodils seem to grow stronger each year. The first thing I did at the cottage was plant them in the grass. It is a beautiful sight each year all over again. I have some here too in my tiny garden but also plant them in pots to place out when spring arrives. Many years, they are out of the storage shed by now but not this year. :-)

    I would love to see some of yours blooming when the time comes.

    Hugs ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elizabeth,
    They are beautiful. I know Spring has arrived when I see daffodils or Crocus. Yes, it is too cold here, too,for mine to pop their sunny heads out of the ground.
    Thank you for the cheery pictures,
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is so fun to see the first spring flowers! Daffodils are lovely!!

    Blessings,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good morning Elizabeth,

    I just love daffodils! All kinds and everywhere. They were the favourite flowers of my mother, so that makes them special for me too.

    Have a nice day & hugs,
    Carolien

    ReplyDelete
  14. The daffodils on your blog are so pretty. Your garden must be beautiful with that many bulbs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I noticed the same thing with my daffodils. Usually we have them showing their shiny heads already, but not this year! Do you know that when you first cut daffodils that you can not put them in with other cut flowers as they would die? You have to keep them separate for a day or so and then place with others. I learned that when I worked for a floral shop.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Thank you for visiting me.