Closed now.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Good bye, Peter Wimsey

I was sad to see that Ian Carmichael died yesterday at the age of 89.
He was well known for his portrayal of the affable Bertie Wooster, playing with
Dennis Price as Jeeves. But I liked him as Lord Peter Wimsey, (1972 - 5).
He was able to adopt that manner, slightly removed, aristocratic and polite
that , for me, just was the hero of the Dorothy Sayers detective novels.
He made many films. including 'Private's Progress '
and 'I'm all right, Jack', with Peter Sellers.
The photo shows him receiving the O.B.E in 2003.

Always charming, never relying for laughs on swear words or rudeness; the epitome of
the English gentleman.


7 comments:

  1. A gentleman in the media.... So sorry I missed him!!
    Very nice tribute!!
    Love,
    Marilyn
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice tribute.

    I loved him as Bertie Wooster. Do you remember the actress who played Aunt Agatha? Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, without your post I would not have known that gentleman had left the stage.

    Yes, another big fan right here of Lord Peter. His performance was what got me to begin the Sayers books.

    Bravo!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. great actor and a perfect gentleman indeed! A real lifeDorothy sayers character!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I remember him from childhood days - a great, fun actor and, as you said, a gentleman. May he R.I.P.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - I loved Bertie Wooster, when the shows came to Canada a few years ago!! Have never seen and Peter Wimsey movies, but didn't he also play in a sit-com as Lord of a Scottish estate, and then in The Royal in more recent years? Looks like the same actor, and if so - he was fabulous!! He will be sorely missed the world over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He was SUCH a talented man - and did a lot for charity too, always willing to give his time to help raise funds for good causes.
    And Peg is right, in later years he was in Strathblair, Wives and Daughters, Heartbeat AND The Royal.
    A true gentleman, on and off screen

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Thank you for visiting me.