Closed now.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Lent reflection 1.


Floss here came up with the idea of taking time during Lent for a period of reflection, time to write something every week on our thoughts about Lent.
There was a huge emphasis when I was young, on 'what should I give up for Lent'. We almost all swore to give up chocolate, sweets or other favourite things. I'm not sure how long I managed to keep it up!
Now I look at Lent in a different way. Yes, it is a period which gives us time to reflect on the sacrifice made for us by Christ.
The 40 days of Lent are the same 40 days that He spent in the desert. He gave us His life. Should I give up something in recognition of that?
This year I find the idea of giving up this or that is not what I want to do. I want to 'turn' my prayer life around. It is so easy to say 'I'll be praying for you', it's well meant, but I know how my mind can flutter off. I know that I can be guilty of saying , briefly, 'Oh and also God, please reach out to so and so in their need'.
So I'm making a list (typical teacher) of all friends and family for whom I pray, with spaces for 'emergency' prayers. I am going to stick with this and give more thought and time to each prayer. Maybe it's not sacrificial, but it will be , as Alice said, A Very Good thing.

12 comments:

  1. I did this one year, maybe 12 or 13 years ago. It changed my life. I still pray how I prayed that season of "sacrifice." I will pray for you that this will become permanent in your prayer life as well. Blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is reat - a practical scrifice of time and carng, not a meaningless one. I am gaining so much by reading what people are doing - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Several times zones behind and I'm just posting mine, written last night.
    My childhood lenten experiences were much like yours - I love the idea of your lenten prayer list and may incorporate it - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, a list. A beautiful act. Praying in Color is a wonderful book that would bring a small amount of creativity to your commitment of purposeful prayer for others. Actually, you don't need to buy the book to do it. I love this post and I am thrilled to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that's a lovely idea, to concentrate on doing something positive as opposed to 'giving up' something. And I love that picture of the carving at the top, by the way - really peacful.

    And thank you for your potato suggesions on my page - I'll look out for the ones you suggest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely agree with that idea and have been trying to conduct my lent in that manner. I always laugh when I remember we used to give up candy and cokes and then wait for Sunday, which we thought didn't count as Lent, to stock up and binge on those things. LOL. Silly kids we were. Thanks for sharing your Lenten ideas with us. blessing
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have enjoyed reading your thoughts on Lent and the way you intend to mark it this year...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Elizabeth :)
    Hopefully the link is fixed now, thankyou for popping by!
    Warm wishes, Irene x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed the comments as well as the post, I used to alway give up
    candy or cigs,. You have a good thought there,,

    yvonne
    I'm kinda like QM

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Remember man for thou are dust and unto dust thou shalt return" (which used to be the words spoken as ashes were marked in a cross on our head as kids at masson Ash Wednesday).As a child I felt those words were alwaysa reminder that life is short and that one best make the most of it to do as best one can during our brief spell here It serves to remind me of my own inconsequence and that lent is indeed a particular time for reflection. A quiet time to examine ones conscience and see if one can do better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If one wants to do something for Lent I believe we follow what God is saying us rather than a formula so i think you ae exactly right in what you are doing for your part.

    Hope your shoulder and neck will be improved quickly. Using the mouse for so much scrolling is affecting my shoulder and neck.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Thank you for visiting me.