The snow has given me an excuse to sit and read, not that I really needed one. The fire is on, the armchair is comfortable, who needs excuses?
These are some of the books I'm/we're reading or have read recently.It's an eclectic selection ranging from diet to prayer to fiction.
I can honestly say I have enjoyed each book in a different way. The Stieg Larssen trilogy held us both gripped to the last page. There were some hissings...'Havent you finished your book yet? I'm waiting...' Sadly no more will be written as the Swedish author died of a heart attack even before publication.
Any book by Adriana Trigiani is enjoyable. Often set in the Appalachian mountains they give a wonderful portrayal of Italian/American family life.
The GI diet? Well...sugar levels are not all they should be, so the Glycaemic index is to be followed for a while.
And my Devotions? I start every day with a reading. I find the day goes better.
What a vast difference in books. Sounds like my book shelf.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your reading.....
Happy Valentine's Day!!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo
my grandmother had an armchair deep and capacious with broad arms next to the fire on which balanced a pile of books, the weeks currant reading matter and no one was allowed to sit ther or touch the books! I recognise some of thetitles form our collection but do not know the Italian american ones so will beg a borrow!
ReplyDeleteCold days are meant for reading. I love your wide variety...keeps us well read. And a home without books, and in my case, scattered everywhere, is very boring!
ReplyDeletexoxo
Jane
Oh, there are MORE Adriana T books Goodie!
ReplyDeleteAnd what do you think I've been doing, sweetpea? Reading my heart out lately!
ReplyDeletexoxo,
Connie
We are getting snow here so I may be spending tomorrow with a good book too. I've heard many people recommend Adriana Trigliani so I will definitely have to try her out.
ReplyDeleteHugs, Rhondi
What a strangely small world it is, Elizabeth. I still have to finish the third of the Larsson books and am so sad that there will not be more from this author.
ReplyDeleteAnd, on a very different literary terrain, I have met Ms Trigani, and have a family friend who lives in the western part of Virginia (Big Stone Gap) where Ms T's first books were set. AT still sends me notices of her newest books, and I recently received word of the latest.
(Did you know that she used to be a script writer for the Bill Cosby television show?)
I read the first two of her books and then could go no further, even if her annual postcards urge me to read on.
All the same, I so agree that this time of year is a grand time to have a book at the ready.
xo
Thank you so much for sharing your books with us!
ReplyDeleteWe had three inches here in GA....a very rare occurance. Stunningly beautiful and glorious...just like the Creator.
ReplyDeleteYes, a perfect day to curl up with a book by the fire.
However, I took the time to create a new blog post.
I have read AT's Big Stone Gap trilogy, and will read Lucia, Lucia next. My sister read her latest and liked it.
I have a ton of books all over the house, waiting to be read. So many books, so little time...but just having them around makes me happy.
My idea of heaven is to be able to read ALL the books I've ever wanted or could ever imagine.
It's a lovely way to start the day!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your books and have a nice weekend.
Hugs, Carolien
I just left you a comment on the School Meals post - go read when you have time.
ReplyDeleteI loved the Steig Larsson book too - really felt I was right there in Sweden - great writing.
Again, Happy St. Valentine's Day.
I was just saying the other day how I wish that I had more time to read.
ReplyDeleteThere is something so therapeutic about just kicking up one's feet, drinking tea, and reading a good book.
Enjoy!
Iam reading a book suggested to me by my son-in-law who speaks four languages. It's about a French boy who runs away from the Germans in the Second World War. It's a classic in France. It is called, UN Sac de Billes (Sac of Marbles). I've got the French edition but I found it a bit tough going, so I am using an English translation. But I will tackle the French next week.
ReplyDelete