Closed now.

Monday, March 18, 2013

Preparing

Linking to Floss and 'A pause for Lent'.

Preparation is everywhere.
Our birds have been seen carrying moss and feathers into the hedge, preparing for their nests.




 Trees and flowers are budding, preparing for the Spring glory.



Everywhere I go I see gardeners, busy, cutting back plants, mowing lawns, sowing seeds. Preparing for the season of growth.


Aren't we all preparing for the wonderful season of Easter?
Certainly the supermarkets are.
Shelves of eggs are the first thing one sees as one enters

Easter, when I was a child was always marked, and to this day I don't know why, with new socks.
Not just any old socks, but pretty white ones.
When we were in France it was at this time that the shops were preparing for the families who would come in to buy clothing for the first Communion. White socks were part of the outfit.



In whatever way we prepare, let's never lose sight of the meaning of Easter.
Not just eggs, not just socks.
 A time of thanks to our Lord. A time of grief for His death. A time of glory in His resurrection.

6 comments:

  1. I am finding that I am thinking more and more about gifts for teachers, clothes for children, a big family meal for Easter Sunday, what to do with the boys over the break, but less and less about the lessons of Lent. You are right. My preparations should be on a different level altogeter. Thank you for this reminder tonight x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the connection between socks and Easter. Perhaps it's the promise of new beginnings at the Easter season that prompted the inclusion of new socks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully put, Elizabeth.

    This is certainly a season of preparation.

    I'd love to be able to watch what those birds are building in the hedge!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said!
    I remember new lacy socks and white gloves. One year I had yellow patent leather shoes, too!
    My mom revered Easter for all the right reasons and she viewed the Easter dress acquisition as a way to honor Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The song has been running through my head, "I will glory in the cross, in the cross." I've always loved the Easter season. I'm rejoicing in our living Savior. New socks and New life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your note about the birds, little birdies preparing for new life. Getting their nests ready for their little squeakers. Makes me think of God's promise: "He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart." Safety.

    I'd not really thought of it before, but this really is a time of preparation; like a mother knowing her time is almost come, first the pain then the new life and joy. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Thank you for visiting me.