I was
honoured when Terri asked if I would be one of the reviewers of her first book.
I think I have 'known' Terri almost since she began her 'Hearts in Service' blog
in 2008. I have followed her life with family, church and craftwork. I've
bought lovely things from her and admired the care she has taken with her work.
Terri's book is for me, an encouragement
. I have had for years, a little devotional book called Daily Light, which is
really a collection of verses for each day. It's a lovely book, but I find that
Terri takes me one step further in my reading. Her meditations are thoughtful
and to the point. She bases much of her writing on her own experiences, which
one can relate to. As other reviewers have said, I appreciate the fact that she
is honest, describes her joys and sorrows, her failings and her successes.
I read
a chapter a day. One I particularly
liked was called 'Body Life' using verses from Hebrews 3, vv12/13, and is on
the theme of Encouragement for our friends and neighbours. It very much points
the way of support and friendship, and certainly made me think about my own
relationship with my near ones.
I would buy this book for myself or as a gift.
This is Terri.
She has sent me, below, some more details about herself and her writing.
Thank you, for having me share a bit and also for doing a review of my new book, Words of Encouragement for a Discouraged World. I appreciate it! I wanted to share a bit about myself. I graduated from Nyack College with a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and I also attended the Alliance Theological Seminary, working on my Master’s of Divinity.
My husband, Dan, and I will be married 25 years in June and I have three children, Nathan, Stephen and Emily. My husband is a pastor of a church which is about 70 miles north of New York City and I'm quite busy helping him with that. I tutor children as needed with reading difficulties, specializing in the Orton-Gillingham Multisensory method and I also have an online Etsy store for my craft business, Terri's Country Crafts.
Five years ago I started writing a weekly devotional to the women in our church. In my own private Bible reading and study, I would wrestle with different issues I was facing in my own life. As I wrote, I found it easier to share these things rather than just pick some abstract topic. And as I wrote to the women in church and shared it on my blog, I found that many women were helped by these devotionals. So I began to felt led to compile them into a book. And that is how this book of 52 weekly devotionals came about!
My desire is for women to know that they are not alone in their struggles. I also love being able to share from God's word in a way that understandable, yet doesn't detract from what the scriptures are actually teaching. I try to be transparent in my writing and love to envision sitting down and having a cup of tea with a friend as I write. I hope that women will grow in their walk with the Lord through this little book. The book is listed on Amazon or you can also find more information through my website, terrigroh.com.

Elizabeth, thank you for introducing Terri to me today. I peeked inside the book and yes, it is one that I think will be in my bag next to my Bible for everyday living.
ReplyDeleteThank you also for visiting the cottage... have a blessed day! :)
m.
Thank you, Elizabeth for this thoughtful review. Terri's book sounds like one that I would enjoy and find encouragement from.
ReplyDeleteI'll have to look further for this as it seems like the sort of book that would take one through many different sorts of winters.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Maria, Lorrie & Pondside for your kind comments. I appreciate them.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth, thank you so much for the lovely book review. I so appreciate your friendship these past 5 years. Can you believe it's been that long? I appreciate your gift of encouragement!
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely sounding book/author
ReplyDeleteI think I will look out for that! What a lovely side effect of popping over to say thank you for leaving a comment on my blog and also to say that I have updated it with the amount raised. A astonishing £1,984 after expenses have been taken off!
CKxx
Thank you for your kind comments, Kate!
ReplyDeleteWhat a privilege for you Barbara.
ReplyDelete