Today, in soaking rain, we visited Port Eliot.
This visit was arranged especially by the Cornwall Blind Association with the sponsorship of the Earl and Countess of St Germans, whose family have owned this house for generations.
The day was to be a 'sensory experience' for partially sighted people, who were permitted to feel , touch and handle certain items in the house.
The house was built in the twelfth century as a Priory.
It has its own church in the grounds, which we didn't see today.
The family live here . We didn't actually meet them, but when we went into the morning room there was a fire blazing, surrounded by comfortable seating. Flowers were on the tables, dog leads on the stools, and I guess any moment one of the family might have wandered in.
The round room was my least favourite. Originally designed by John Soane, it had a slightly domed ceiling to allow the best acoustics when music was played. There was an exquisite chandelier, but also a large motor bike by the window, and the walls were covered in murals by Robert Lenckiewicz.
These I found very disturbing and really felt I needed to get out.
For some reason it wasn't a house that we enjoyed. I think the weather didn't help.
Sadly most of the group were too infirm to visit the tea rooms which oddly are up a flight of steep stone steps. So we all went to the pub to see if they could give us tea, only to find they had run out of cups and saucers. And also food.
Maybe it was a good idea, just on the wrong day!



Fascinating! SO big!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you didn't get your tea. I like your sense of adventure.
I think this post was delightful. Yes, sometimes that don't take into consideration they're dealing with people who may not be able to climb a flight of stair. Why don't they put an elevator in the home for such occasions? Makes sense to me.
ReplyDeletexoxo,
Connie
Sorry your day out wasnt as great due to the weather! Talking about Robert Lenkiewicz, I went to see his actual house and studio in Plymouth many years ago, and yes agree that too had quite a few disturbing images there too, but I think that was part of his style as an artist. I tried to zoom in on your photos of the RL images, but couldnt see much detail.
ReplyDeleteI love visiting places like this.
ReplyDeleteThe morning room looks nice, but I see what you mean about the round room. It looks too busy ~ not very warm. No tea and the rain, well that didn't help either. Sorry it couldn't have been a better day.
Enjoy your Sunday!
Anne ♥
What a shame that some of the practical details didn't work out. I hope the weather is better for your next outing.
ReplyDeleteSome houses make me uneasy too. I remember a cottage in Wales making me uncomfortable, I found out later that Mum felt the same. We didn't really know why either. :-)
ReplyDeleteSorry your day was such a disappointment and non-starter.
ReplyDeleteSarah, I think you're right about homes having an atmosphere. I've been in ones where I thought, "Oh I could happily live here," and others where I couldn't leave fast enough.
Someone once told me that the walls absorb the events around them, and if the people who lived here previously were happy, then the house will be too. And if the former occupants were bitter and angry, the house also reflects that. Since I live here, I don't really know, but I hope my house has a happy vibe!
You're so fortunate to have interesting houses to visit - I have Great House envy! I had a closer look at the murals, and agree with you that they are disturbing for some reason.
ReplyDeleteOut of teacups and saucers? How is that even possible?
ReplyDeleteI'm with you on the disturbing murals. I enlarged them....ugh! They ruined an otherwise lovely room! Perhaps your next outing will work out a little better for you...:) Thanks for sharing...:)
ReplyDeleteBlessing, Vicky
Life On Willie Mae Lane
I share Pondside's Great House envy. But I have to say that those murals do nothing for me, nor, I would venture to guess, for the room. They seem to be at odds with the decor.
ReplyDeleteHopefully your next adventure will be more to your taste - with a proper tea to follow.
Oh dear, that pub would have done themselves out of business!
ReplyDeleteWhat a pity you didn't have such a good day, it is a shame.
x
Wow ED the house looks magnificent but what a shock the inside must have been. Not too authentic with an exercise bike parked by the window. Read your previous post on cold calls. The same here, we signed up for no calls but I guess the time has passed. Now we get calls that say "Are you a senior citizen living alone?" in a threatening voice, trying to scare you into buying a security system. I just hang up.
ReplyDeleteSo nice to visit with you.
QMM
What strange artwork. Would not like to live with that.
ReplyDelete