Closed now.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

And then the batteries ran out.........



Our Fete is held in the grounds of a large monastery in Brittany. We are welcomed by the 'Freres' who have been so helpful to us over the years.


I managed to get two shots of people setting up in the morning......and then the camera batteries ran out. As it was only a week since I'd charged them I hadnt brought any spares, so two photos is all you get.


We had Garden produce, English books, Craft, Cakes, a bottle stall , a Raffle and many others.
Teas were held inside in the 'cantine' which is a room used by the brothers for meetings and students lessons. The kitchen corner is ideal, and coffee and tea urns were soon busy.
Outside was decorated with bunting and balloons, here being blown up by volunteers!


The afternoon went well, with plenty of English visitors and a smattering of French people too.
Overall we made almost €1000, which in these days of recession isnt too bad.

11 comments:

  1. The building looks lovely! Such character in that stone!
    I've learned to ALWAYS carry spare batteries. It's not good to be at a grandchild's event camera in hand only to find it "dead!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH, I know that problem well, so I never ever go anywhere without my extra battery, honey.

    But your fete looks delightful. Do you have a large community of English citizens around there? What is the draw to France for retiring? Just wondering.

    xoxo,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks/sounds great! Shame about the batteries.

    Gemma X

    ReplyDelete
  4. There must be a lot of English citizens living in France. Like Connie, I'm curious as to why.

    What a lovely place for a church fĂȘte.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad it went well and the weather was good, the sun, as they say, shines on the rightious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news!~so glad you had a fun and successful day!
    Oh, I received a lovely letter and gift from Sarah! Such a sweeeeet, talented person! thank you for pairing me with her~I hope we always write to each other. I plan to do my part! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad it all went well and that you were so successful :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Plus a bit more which I'll send you for the lovely linens, which have arrived - thanks so much!

    I'm glad the fete went well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the success of the fete, Elizabeth!

    Sorry about that batteries, but your verbal reporting is just fine.

    Ahhh, how I would love to live in France. I see no mystery about the beauty of the country, the culture, the language...the ... well, come to think of it, it's time for me to have another visit to la belle France.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job on raising the money! I'm sure you probably had a fun time doing it too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad it was a success - know it was fun after all the hard work you all put in.

    Oh I know why you all head from Britain to France - the very first time I visited my brother there it hit me in the head within an hour of arrival!! I'd probably be there in a village too but for my city loving Yankee hubby!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Thank you for visiting me.