Closed now.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Kerusten, a Rose garden

The first weekend of June is a Garden weekend in Brittany.
Many beautiful private gardens are opened for Charity,
but the one we like best is a simple rose garden. Kerusten, deep in the Brittany countryside. There are over 500 varieties of roses
in the garden and they grow in a completely natural fashion.
Little grassy paths wind in and out of the beds, leading to...
who knows what? This is a corner of one of the barns, covered in climbing roses,
and full of Swallows, flying in and out as we watched. This white single Peony is in the 'Perfumed Garden',
but it seemed to me that all the garden is awash with scents.
Roses tangle with clematis, Mock orange bushes lead you into
areas full of old fashioned roses......by the hundred.

The perfume from this rose was so strong you didn't need
to lean down to smell it.


A little path might lead to an arbour,
or to a piece of statuary.



This building is being renovated inside, maybe to let for holidays.
I'd love to wake up each morning to the sounds and the scents.




At about 6pm there was a musical Aperitif. Rose champagne was served
to the music of this quartet. Three fiddles and an accordion played
bouncy Breton music
.






And at the end, Madame and Monsieur served a wonderful
light supper in the garden.
What an imaginative afternoon it was.





14 comments:

  1. That sounds absolutely delightful, and I would love to visit a garden like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh next year may I come too please?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm back from visiting our new great granddaughter and you can see her tomorrow on my blog, sweets!!!

    Oooh, those roses are divine. I especially love that clematic in your banner logo. Beautiful.

    xoxo,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds so elegant! Very classy and sweet : )

    The garden looked marvelous.

    Gemma X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it looks heavenly! I bet the smell was intoxicating. Garden roses are the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds and looks absolutely wonderful! I love that type of garden. What a relaxing way to spend a day---lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This place looks so delightful.
    What an interesting spot. We have those rugosa roses by the sea and they have a strong fragrance.
    yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could you just bottle up some of that rose-scented air and send it over here?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how heavenly. At the very least my husband and I should put on some music in the afternoon and sit outside for refreshments. What a glorious way to enjoy a beautiful day. Most of the time on weekends I'm too busy doing chores to stop and spend a few moments just to enjoy the day.

    Inspiring and beautiful.

    P.S. Wish we could smell that rose!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a rainy day here today, but I'm sure the sun is still shining in that delightful rose garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful to go on a garden tour, see such beauty, and then be treated to champagne and a light supper!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how dreamy... It can't get any better than this! So happy for you to be able to partake in this lovely day! XO

    ReplyDelete
  13. How beautiful! What a lovely outing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a perfect way to spend a day!

    Hugs from Holland ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Thank you for visiting me.