Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Fires in NSW.


How terrible this is.
I spoke to my son, who lives just outside Sydney, to reassure myself that he and his family were in no danger. He told me that the worst of it was 100 km away, but that even in the air one could smell smoke.
The temperature has reached 40 degrees there. He told me that people were just going to the beach in desperation, to try to cool off.
The thought of hundreds of acres of that beautiful land burning is too awful. The wildlife will have suffered terribly.
I recall , on one of our visits, walking through an area where wallabies bounced freely, where lizards hid behind the trees, where beautiful birds flew.
We pray for rain for them all.

11 comments:

Pamela said...

So heartbreaking. I'm joining you in prayer.

Amy said...

Simply heartbreaking. Joining you in prayer also. ~Amy

Lorrie said...

The fires are so enormous - hard to grasp. Praying for rain/an end to the devastation.

Connie said...

That temperature is common here in the desert in the summer time, but it's brutal if you're not used to it. Ooooh, I hope they are all safe, sweetpea. Terrible thing to happen.
xoxo,
Connie

Canadian Chickadee said...

Yes, join my prayers to yours. xoxo

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

The bush fires are very worrying.
Experienced Fire fighters from New Zealand were despatched yesterday to assist our friends across the sea.

Keeping you all in our prayers.
hugs
Shane

Heidi Kuijer said...

Oh yes...it is terrible to see what is happening there. And then yesterday they said the temperatures are expected to soar about 50F. That is just so not normal. Unfortunately, I am afraid we are all to blame for this situation with our careless way we populate the world and do not care for it. Sorry but that makes me sad to think of what we are doing or not doing in this case.

I hope your son stays safe and pray all the families in that area will be brought to safety.

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Betty the Wood Fairy said...

It must be very frightening to be anywhere near these fires - such a sad thing that so much landscape and wildlife is being damaged. Hope everyone keeps safe and it is controlled quickly.

talesfromagarden said...

Frightening scenes on sky news,hope rain or cooler temps come quickly and that further devastation is avoided.

Linda said...

We have relatives in South Australia so
we are thinking of everyone caught up in this situation. Joining you in prayer.

Pondside said...

I'm glad to read that your son and his family are safe! It's just too awful.