
Happy Spring! Happy 1st May!
In France we have a delightful custom of presenting our friends with a bunch, or even just a stem, of Lilies of the Valley.
It's a custom that dates back to 1561, when the then King, Charles 1x received some lilies as a lucky charm. Each year he offered a bunch to the ladies of his court. So the tradition grew, and by 20th Century it was well established.
The flowers are given as a symbol of Spring. I think it is the one and only time that something is allowed to be sold without tax applying. Scouts and Guides will be in our town today, raising a little money by selling these beautifully perfumed flowers.
and mine are blooming in the garden, so I shall go and pick a few for our neighbour.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely tradition and gesture, to receive these fragrant delicate blooms on May Day.
ReplyDeleteGreat post - thanks so much! I was wondering about the origin of the tradition, and I've put a link to your excellent explanation on my own post. Happy May 1st!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful tradition.
ReplyDeleteThis is a wonderful tradition. As you may know, today is Oaks day at Churchill Downs in Ky. Oaks day is considered the local Louisville day at the races, since Derby Day is international. The winner of the Oaks is given a garland of Lilies and it is called the Run for The Lilies. It is "Wear Pink Today" at the oaks for awareness of breast cancer.
ReplyDeleteMuguets des bois are one of my very favourites and I admire the French tradition.
ReplyDeleteI love this tradition! Lilies of the Valley are so beautiful!
ReplyDeleteMany blessings to you! Have a wonderful Sunday!
Andrea
What a great tradition! My parents were married in May (1948) and had lily-of-the-valley as their wedding flower. So lovely!
ReplyDeleteElizabeth,
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful picture. When my oldest son was born on May 21, 1994
we came home from the hospital and the lillies of the valley at our little green house seemed to have bloomed overnight. I feel like the Lord had placed them there at that time to welcome John Thomas into the world. Your post has brought back some of my sweetest memories.
Janis
Such a lovely tradition and thanks for sharing the history of the lilies.
ReplyDeleteKris
Oh how lovely, I have just planted some Lily of the Valley and I am hoping they will grow, the man I bought them off said if they were happy they would grow so every timeI pass them in the garden I talk to them to make them feel at home.
ReplyDeleteLove Gill
Thanks for telling us about this lovely French custom. I only wish the tradition would spread to here. I would be so pleased to give and receive a lovely bunch of Lily of the Valley on May Day. x
ReplyDelete